The derelictlondon.com website is now 12 years old and following a sellout of all the 2013 & 2014 dates Paul Talling is giving more tours of his favourite derelict sites in the Limehouse and Poplar area before the area becomes regenerated. As well as dereliction this tour focuses as much on hidden sites of interest, social history and change in the area.
This leisurely tour views the exteriors of sites covered in the Derelict London website & book such as the decaying premises of sail makers Caird & Rayner & the art deco Poplar Baths. Other sites include the remains of St Saviours Church which survived the Blitz but not a recent fire & the Limehouse Accumulator tower built in 1869 for regulating one of the first hydraulic power systems. We pass some 1970s graffiti proclaiming that "George Davis is Innocent”, numerous derelict shops and industrial units, redundant pub & shop signs in odd places and stories of the mysterious Black Ditch which is featured in Paul's other book London's Lost Rivers.
Highlights along the way also include stories of London's original China Town, the 1951 Festival of Britain, visiting the first purpose built pedestrian shopping centre in the UK and even a short stroll along the Limehouse Cut.
There will be a toilet/refreshment break during the tour. This is a circular tour which ends up at Limehouse Station unless of course you wish to join Paul in a friendly local pub - The Old Ship - to discuss more dereliction and lost rivers over a cheap pint.
Dogs and children are welcome. The walking tour goes ahead regardless of the weather. No refunds due to inclement weather are given.
Below is a gallery of some pics by Paul Talling: